Nordweststadt, or 'Northwest city' in English, is a modern settlement built 5 miles northwest of Frankfurter Innenstadt, the central district of Frankfurt am Main. In 1959, the city planning department hosted a design competition for a new settlement. The winners of the competition were architects Walter Schwagenscheidt and Tassilo Sittmann. The original plans for the city as conceived by Schwagenscheidt and Sittmann were revised by the planning department head, Hans Kampffmeyer. As a result, all of the buildings in Nordweststadt are accurately aligned along the cardinal directions. The first wave of construction lasted from 1962 until 1968. Since then, the city has been connected with all of the major districts of Frankfurt by the U-Bahn, or the German underground railway system. In the early 1970s, many new educational facilities were built. Many modern sports facilities were then built in the 1990s.
This image was taken in 1970 by John Schooley, FAIA, during an Urban America tour. Urban America tours allowed architects and planners to visit planned communities and meet professionals involved in their planning and continued development.
Keywords: satellite city. Submitted by John Schooley, FAIA.