Nyhavn, or New Harbor, was established by King Frederik V in the 1670s as a gateway from the sea to the old inner city and at that time the canal reached right up to the Kongens Nytorv (Kings Square), where ships unloaded cargo and fish. The trade and shipping lead to the strong growth of Copenhagen and the many houses surrounding the canal that are more than 300 years old.
17th Century (1600 - 1699 CE) Baroque
Copenhagen Portal (2011, November 18). From the website http://www.copenhagenet.dk/CPH-Map/CPH-Nyhavn.asp