Orton Hall was built entirely of Ohio stone in the order in which it is found in nature, with the oldest at the bottom. Thus the lowest basement course is Dayton limestone from the Silurian age; the front steps are Columbus limestone from the Devonian period; and the red sandstone trim is from the Mississippian period. Inside the barrel-vaulted hall displays 24 decorative columns, each from a different stone (labels are on a placard near the door). The floor tiles are made of Ohio clay.
Orton is Richardsonian Romanesque in style, has a two-story, round-arched door and a round bell tower. It is Herrick Archives building number 060 and is located at 155 South Oval Drive on the Ohio State University campus. General contractor: Haig M. Boyajohn and Associates. Plans prepared by J. W. Yost of Packard & Yost Architects.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, The Ohio State University, institutional buildings, school buildings, university or college buildings.
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE) Richardsonian Romanesque