Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189 Knowlton School Digital LibraryWorkPalace of Culture and Science, Warsaw, Poland 
The Palace of Culture and Science, formerly known as the Moscow Tower, was completed in 1955. The main design team composed four architects: Lew Rudniev, Alexander Hriakov, Igor Rozyn and Alexander Wielikanov. The idea to fund the Palace of Culture and Science first appeared in an agreement between the USSR and the People's Republic_access of Poland on April 5, 1952 as a "proof of friendship" of the Soviet nation to the Polish. The issue of the usage of the future skyscraper was primarly undecided. The Soviet authorities were planning an university modeled on Moscow State University while the Polish would rather see a center of culture and science. Excavation began on May 1, 1952, which was an important date for socialist propaganda, coinciding with May Day. On July 22, 1955 the completed Palace of Culture and Science was officially handed over to Polish society at large as a "gift" from Soviet nation in the name of Joseph Stalin. Shortly after completion, this mostly unwanted gift has become a subject of numerous jokes among the Polish citizens opposed to the Communist government. Over 550 ornamental sculptures decorate the building. The ornamentation is modeled on decorative elements of Polish architecture. Combined with the buildings's monumentalism, this inspired Warsawers to baptize the Palace as 'an elephant in lacy underwear.' The tower was the tallest skyscraper in central Europe when completed, and still one of the tallest in the continent. The fountains in front of the building used to serve the additional purpose of cooling the water for the Palace. With room for over 2800 places, the Congress Hall has entertained such celebrities as Marlene Dietrich, Jan Kiepura, Jacques Brel, Dalida, The Rolling Stones, Luciano Pavarotti, Eric Clapton and many others.
1950s (1950 - 1959) Greek Revival Constructivist
757 ft ()
Emporis (2011, November 1). From the website http://www.emporis.com/building/palaceofcultureandscience-warsaw-poland