Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189 Knowlton School Digital LibraryWorkParc du Champ de Mars 
Parc du Champ de Mars is a large green space between the Eiffel Tower and the Ecole Militaire to the southeast. It is named after the Campus Martius of Rome. Champ de Mars means "Field of Mars", after Mars the god of war.
It was originally used for military drills. In the 16th century it contained vineyards and vegetable gardens. In the 18th century it was used as a training ground for the military. Between 1833 and 1860, the Champ de Mars was the site of a horse-racing track. In 1889 it was redesigned by architect Jean-Camille Fromige for the Universal Exposition.
The park is a vast lawn area with wide walking paths crossing the lawns. The borders of the park are lined with a variety of trees and flowering shrubs and scattered throughout the park are beautiful flower beds.