Piazza: 1600s, Fountain of the Four Rivers: 1648-51, Moor Fountain: 1576, Neptune Fountain: 1574, Saint Agnese: 1652-1666
The piazza is built on the former Domitian's stadium, giving the piazza its long and oval shape. It typifies the Roman style of the 17th century. It was known as 'Circus Agonalis' (competition arena) and over time, the name changed to 'in agone' to 'navone' and eventually to 'navona'.
The piazza has three fountains. Gian Lorenzo Bernini designed the Fountain of the Four Rivers with Egyptian obelisk (Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi) in the center. Giacomo della Porta designed the other two fountains, Moor Fountain (the Fontana del Moro, 1576) at the southern end and Neptune fountain (the Fontana di Nettuno, 1574, in the image) at the northern end.
Keywords: Renaissance, Baroque, Italian, Italy, Roma, outdoor spaces, views.
16th Century (1500 - 1599 CE) 17th Century (1600 - 1699 CE) Renaissance Baroque