Migrated to their present location around 1250 CE; Kiva: 17th Century
Named Pikuria - meaning "those who paint" - by Spanish colonizer Juan de OÃ±ate, Picuris is located approximately 40 miles north of Santa Fe in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains (Blood of Christ). Picuris are one of 4 Tiwa speaking pueblos in New Mexico, along with Taos, Sandia and Isleta with some 1,801 inhabitants. It was influenced by Plains Indian culture, particularly the Apaches. In recent years, there have been serious conflicts between Pueblo and an industrial open-pit mica mine, which has been expanding just a few miles upstream from the Pueblo's modern boundary.
The seventeenth-century kiva (in the image) at Picuris is a round shape underground chamber used for rituals and as a male lodge.
Keywords: United States, New Mexico, Taos County, Picuris Pueblo, Native American, ceremonial and religious structures, residential structures, housing, house, houses, Pueblo. Submitted by Kay Bea Jones.