Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189

Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189

Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189
Knowlton School Digital LibraryWorkRadio Observatory, The Ohio State University [67513]

Radio Observatory, The Ohio State University


Related person
Dr. John Kraus (electrical contractor)
Date
1951-1952 (12 helical antennae);1952-1953 (48 helices, and 48 more installed in 1953);1953 (destruction of trailer and replaced with building);1963-1964 (operations stopped)
Description
The Radio Observatory is Herrick Archives Number 144. It was located at 2827 Kenny Road. Construction was completed largely by students and faculty in the Department of Electrical Engineering under the leadership of Dr. John Kraus without University approval. The building was completed and equipment moved into it by the summer of 1954. Operations ceased at this site in 1963 or 1964 and were gradually shifted to the facility behind Perkins Observatory at Delaware. This building has also been known as the Radio Telescope, the Antenna Laboratory Field House, and the Electro Science Laboratory.
Style/Period
1950s (1950 - 1959)
Material
concrete blocks
Measurements
12 ft ()
23 ft ()
440 ft ()