Also known as Kew Gardens, The Royal Botanical Gardens originated in the exotic garden at Kew Park which was designed by Lord Capel of Tewkesbury. Princess Augusta later expanded the garden with the help of William Chambers. In 1840, the garden was added to the list of national botanical gardens. Kew Gardens is a leading center of botanical research, as well as a training area for professional gardeners and a popular visitor attraction.
William Andrews Nesfield (1793-1881) worked at Kew between 1844 and 1848 in association with Decimus Burton. Nesfield created a parterre terrace platform for the Palm House, laid out a patte d-oie radiating from it into a new Pinetum, created arboretum of coniferous evergreens, reconfigured the pond, and redesigned the Broad Walk.
18th Century (1700 - 1799 CE) 19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE)
Rogers, E. B. (2001). Landscape design: a cultural and architectural history. New York : Harry N. Abrams. p. 321.