Saint Stephen's Episcopal Church, Columbus, Ohio


  • Caption
    [BLANK]
Related people
Gilbert Harold Coddington (architect)
Brooks and Coddington (architect)
Description
St. Stephen's faces Woodruff Avenue with an A-frame gable and all-glass front wall, while a solid brick wall shuts off traffic noise on the High street side. The church and its wings enclose a courtyard, a modern cloister, and on the far side a chapel. Parallel to the sidewalk is the main church with its smaller gable. Inside the church, evenly-spaced welded steel beams make a series of inverted Vs that bend to reach the floor. The altar's back wall is illuminated by daylight from an unseen source. The light source is a tower with glass bricks on one wall, clearly visible from the exterior.
Style/Period
1950s (1950 - 1959)