Schloss Nymphenburg and Park

  • Caption
    View of Exterior
Related people
Agostino Barelli (architect)
Henrico Zuccalli (architect)
Dominique Girard (landscape architect)
Joseph Effner (architect)
Johann Baptist Zimmermann (stuccoist)
1664 (construction began)
The oldest part of the building was begun by Barelli in 1664 from an Italian model. The central building, originally planned as a hunting lodge, was ordered by Prince Ferdinand Maria and his wife in 1664. In 1701 two side wings were added. Enrico Zuccalli took over the work in 1673. Two side galleries and corner pavilions were added by Antonio Viscardi in 1702-1704 and the facades were opened up. In 1723, connecting wings were added and the large semi-circular court lined with houses was added by Joseph Effner in 1728-58.
Johann Baptist Zimmerman created the stucco work and ceiling frescoes in the "Steinernan Saal" (Great Hall) in 1755-57.
The 200 acre (800,000 square meters) park, once an Italian garden, was enlarged and redesigned in French style by Dominique Girard, a pupil of Le Notre. It was redesigned in the English manner style in 1804-1823 by landscape architect Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell.
Information from: Blohm, K., Heiss, U., Holz, C., et al. (1994). Architekturfuhrer Munchen = Architectural Guide to Munich. Berlin: Dietrich Reimer Verlag. More information found here
17th Century (1600 - 1699 CE)
18th Century (1700 - 1799 CE)
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE)