Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189
Knowlton School Digital LibraryWorkSeven Foot Knoll Lighthouse [231685]

Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse


Related person
Matthew Bernhardt (was created by)
Date
1948, automated;1987, deactivated;1855
Description
The Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse was established in 1855 at the Patapsco River, Chesapeake Bay. It was originally staffed by keepers from the U.S. Lighthouse Service and later by the U.S. Coast Guard. The 40-foot structure is made of wrought iron and is painted red. It is cylindrical in shape and consists of one story that includes living quarters for lighthouse keepers. The lighthouse was automated in 1948 and deactivated in 1987 and relocated to Pier 5 in Baltimore Harbor where it serves as a museum. It is owned by the U.S. Coast Guard. This lighthouse is the oldest extant screwpile lighthouse in the United States and is on the National Register (reference #89001096).
Style/Period
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE)
Material
iron
Measurements
40 ft ()