In the Sfatului Square (the Old Town Hall Square also known as the Council Square), several famous buildings are located; the Council House, the Black Church, and the Hirscher House. The Black Church is the largest Gothic church between Vienna and Istanbul. It was built by the the city's German community. The church was built between 1383 and 1477 on the site of an earlier church (destroyed in 1242). It has been renovated several times. The church has six portals, representing different architectural styles.
This image was taken in 1970 by John Schooley, FAIA, during an Urban America tour. Urban America tours allowed architects and planners to visit planned communities and meet professionals involved in their planning and continued development.
Keywords: Romania, Brasov (County), Brasov, ceremonial and religious structures, towers, streetscape, outdoor spaces, public space. Submitted by John Schooley, FAIA.
Medieval (c. 300 CE - 1399 CE) 15th Century (1400 - 1499 CE) Gothic