Smith Laboratory is located at 174 West 18th Avenue on The Ohio State University campus and the construction address for the second addition was 167 West 19th Avenue. It is listed as Herrick ID: 065. It was officially named " A. W. Smith Laboratory of Physics" by the Board of Trustees on July 11, 1968. On September 12, 1968 the name was changed by Board of Trustees action to "Alpheus Smith Laboratory of Physics." The building has a reinforced concrete frame and a brick exterior. It has five stories and a basement.
1950-1951 Architect for the Original Building: Howard Dwight Smith
1960 Architect for the first addition: Tully and Hobbs
1967-1968 Architect for the second addition: Tully and Hobbs
1950-1951 General Contractor for the Original Building: G. W. Atkinson & Sons
1960 General Contractor for the first addition: Joseph Skilken & Co.
1967-1968 General Contractor for the first addition: Baker & Coombs of Ohio, Inc.