Current iteration built from 1907-1909, reconstructed from 1953-55
The St. Pauli LandungsbrÃ¼cken, or Landing Bridges, were first constructed in 1839 and served as moorings for steamers. They were erected at the edge of the harbour because it was possible to load coal there, which they needed for their engines. Since they sailed with stoked fires onboard, they posed a danger for the Hamburg Port. This was another reason for the erection of the LandungsbrÃ¼cken for the steamers at the harbour's edge. From 1907 to 1909, an entire waterway station grew out of the first LandungsbrÃ¼cken. Unfortunately, in the Second World War the Waterway Station was seriously damaged. The moving pontoons of today have existed since being rebuilt between 1953 and 1955.
1900s (1900 - 1909)
Smart Travel Germany, (2011, October 25th). From the website http://www.smart-travel-germany.com/hamburg-landungsbrucken.html