This image shows the Stalin monument as seen in 1956. From 1955 to 1962, this enormous statue stood at the place of the metronome (placed there in 1991 to celebrate 100 years of the Jubilee Exhibition that was held in 1891) and dominated the city. It was one of the largest statues in Europe representing Stalin. Behind the leader, the Czech and Russian people stood lined up. The people of Prague nicknamed the mocked statue "the line for bread". The base is still there and it is 15 meters high. The statue itself towered 15 more meters and stretched 22 meters long. It weighed 15,000 tons and was made of 226 blocks of granite. It was destroyed by dynamite in 1962.