1838 -1861 (built);1965 (underground parking garage opened);1901 (statehouse annex completed);1857 - Opened to legislators and the public
North and Central America->United States->Ohio->Franklin (county)->Columbus
The Ohio Statehouse is situated between South High Street and South Third Street east and west, and East Broad Street and East State Street north and south. The building measures 504 feet north to south and 184 feet east to west, and includes eight Doric columns in antis defining the east and west entrances and four columns at the north and south entrances.
The construction of the building and cupola has a history of its own. several architects were charged with designing the statehouse. Initially Henry Walter won the $500 prize in 1838 for best design but was eventually discharged from the project. Alexander J. Davis was chosen but replaced by William Russell West in 1848. West resigned in 1854 and Nathan B. Kelly took over to construct a roof for the structure.
The controversy over the roof design began when Kelly's vision for a dome was thought to be too grandiose. Isaiah Rogers of Cincinnati was then charged with supervising construction of a conical-roofed cupola instead of a dome, as the dome was thought to be too expensive, too ornate, and too small for the massive structure. In spite of the incomplete construction of the building, the Ohio General Assembly occupied the new statehouse on January 5th, 1857. Isaiah Rogers, a more conservative designer, was hired in 1858 to finish the building, including the cupola.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, State Capital Center, State House, McKinley Monument, public buildings, legislative buildings, views, exterior views, outdoor spaces, walkways.