North and Central America->United States->Ohio->Franklin (county)->Columbus
This was a student project by Elizabeth Ries, Mark Stevens and David Larsen for Jesus Lara and Charles Cartwright's LARCH 457 course, Autumn 2007.
"In this urban design studio, the focus was 'revitalization through urban diversification and environmental rehabilitation. The main goal of the project was not only to be concerned with the urban design of the specific location, but with the impacts on the larger urban fabric focusing on both the physical and social infrastructures. For this specific project, the site was a 500 acre area located west of downtown Columbus centered on the intersection of Grandview Avenue and Dublin Road. The site is bordered by the communities of Grandview Heights to the north and Franklinton to the south. Students were not given any program to follow, but after doing weeks of research about the Columbus area as well as this specific site, it was up to group members to decide what was most needed on the site and which areas were most important to develop or leave unchanged. The focus of our project was to retain the industrial character of the south side of the site near Franklinton while developing a mixed-use / residential core to the north of the site. Business incubators would be used to propagate further development in the implementation of three different phases. The development of a public transit system including streetcar and light rail would also help to create a more walkable and sustainable community that would be a model for future development in Columbus. Overall, the goals were to revitalize the socio-economic conditions as well as remediate and enhance the Scioto River corridor." - Elizabeth Ries, Mark Stevens and David Larsen
This work is a part of the online collections of the Knowlton School of Architecture Student Archives, The Ohio State University. It is part of an effort to make accessible student work ranging from the first student that graduated from the program in 1903 to the present.