This was a sketch by Hubert Schmidt from his travels with the Edward L. Ryerson traveling fellowship.
Hubert Schmidt (b. November 21, 1913, d. April 22, 2003) was originally from Cleveland, Ohio. During World War II, Schmidt served in the Army Corps. He earned a BS in Landscape Architecture from the Ohio State University in 1938. In 1938 he also received a $1,200 Edward L. Ryerson traveling fellowship enabling him to spend one year in Europe studying historical and modern architecture and landscape architecture.
After graduation Hubert Schmidt returned to Cleveland to work for the Cleveland Metropolitan Park system in addition to various private firms. In 1946 he worked under A.D. Taylor, who was the Ohio State University Architect and a nonresident professor. Schmidt moved to San Francisco in 1951 and was San Francisco's only landscape architect at the time. Hubert Schmidt's work was donated to the Ohio State University by his wife, Virginia. Hubert and Virginia Schmidt met at the Ohio State University.
This drawing is housed in the Knowlton School of Architecture Student Archives in Knowlton Hall, The Ohio State University. It is one of thousands of student projects retained over the last one hundred years, the first student having graduated from the program in 1903. The drawings in the collection are valuable primary research materials for educational scholars --they are ideal for studying the evolution of architectural education in the United States, as well as the changes in drawing styles and teaching traditions at land grant institutions over the last one hundred years.
"Honoring the Architectural Education Tradition: Preserving Drawings at the Knowlton School of Architecture" is an effort to make this and other student drawings available online for use in teaching and research. This project was sponsored in part by the Graham Foundation.