Temple of Apollo and Polygonal Wall, Delphi, Greece
Polygonal Wall: 548 BCE; Visible ruins of the Temple of Apollo: 4th century BCE
The Polygonal Wall is a retaining wall built in 548 B.C.E. after the destruction of the first Temple of Apollo. It supports the terrace on which the Temple of Apollo stands. The visible ruins belong to the last temple, dating to the 4th century B.C.E., which was peripteral, and of the Doric order. It was erected on the remains of an earlier temple dating from the 6th century B.C.E. Inside was the "adyton", the center of the Delphic oracle and seat of Pythia. The temple was partially restored from 1938-1941.
The Archivision Collection of Ancient Sites was funded by the Jack Martin Balcer Library Endowment.
Keywords: Greece, Central Greece and Euboea, Phocis, Delphi, Ancient Greek, Mediterranean. Photographed by Scott Gilchrist, Archivision.