In the Changping District northwest of Beijing, there are thirteen imperial tombs dating from the Ming Dynasty distributed over forty sq km. The building of the necropolis spanned more than two hundred years, with the first tomb built in 1409, and the last one built in 1644. The Yanshan mountain range surrounds the tombs on three sides.
This image was taken by John P. Schooley, FAIA, during the 1982 People-to-People Architecture Delegation to the People's Republic_access of China. The People-to-People Citizen Ambassador Program sponsored the delegation lead by Professor David Glasser of the Department of Architecture, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. This delegation allowed architects and planners from the United States to visit landmarks as well as communities at various scales, and to meet professionals involved in their planning and continued development.