1818-1844 (was being reworked); replanted after World War II
The Tiergarten is Berlin's Central Park. It was originally the hunting ground of Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm in the late 17th century. Located at the heart of Berlin, linking the neoclassical quarter with Charlottenburg along Strasse des 17. Juni/Unter den Linden, with the Brandenburg Gate at the east end, the Reichstag on the north end, the zoo (Tiergarten) at its southwest, embassies lining its exterior, and the Victory Monument at its heart. The present ground plan is from Peter Joseph Lenne who reworked the Tiergarten from 1818-1844. During World War II it was used for firewood and gardening. Strasse des 17. Juni was widened as part of Albert Speer's master plan for Germania. The park was destroyed in the Battle for Berlin in 1945 and has been restored and replanted since the war. Small islands, lakes, rivers, statues, and gardens lie throughout the park. It is densely wooded and offers numerous public spaces.
Western 17th Century (1600 - 1699 CE) Baroque
Berlin.de (2011, October 11). From http://www.berlin.de/orte/sehenswuerdigkeiten/tiergarten/index.en.php
Quest-Ritson, Charles (1998). The Garden Lover's Guide to Germany. Princeton Architectural Press, 22.