"The Unitarian Meeting House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, was commissioned by the First Unitarian Society in 1946. Construction began in 1949 and was completed in 1951. It is recognized as one of the world's most innovative examples of church architecture. In 1960 the American Institute of Architects designated it one of seventeen buildings to be retained as an example of Wright's contribution to American culture. The Meeting House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
"Although now engulfed by the city, when erected, Wright's 'country church' was sited on a knoll overlooking university farmland and Lake Mendota. Two later additions were designed by Taliesin Associated Architects: the Religious Education Wing, 1964, and the Lower Meeting House, 1990."
Keywords: United States, Madison, Wisconsin, Dane County, ceremonial and/or religious structures, views. Submitted by Sandipan Aditya.