Raphael was commissioned to build the villa by Cardinal Giulio de'Medici. Started late in 1518, the work went on under the direction of Giulio Romano after Raphael's death in 1520 but was abandoned before half the scheme had been completed. Only a small part of the initial plan remains. The villa has been placed under the custody of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs since 1940.
Keywords: terraced garden, overview.